Friday, August 24, 2012

For Nothing

For Nothing (An Upstate New York Mafia Tale #1)For Nothing by Nicholas Denmon
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I tried. Really, I tried. This book broke me.

The best thing I can say about "For Nothing" is that the machinations of the Buffalo mafia were interesting. It seems that the author has done his homework. The tone is about right, but there my praise (if you can call it that) abruptly ends.

In short: I've read this book so you won't have to. You have been warned.

The novel was written, obviously. But it was not crafted, also obviously. The characters were wooden and the prose was simply atrocious. Four or five edits later, I could see this being a good book. But the writing really got in the way of enjoying the story. The plot itself moves ahead in spite of the characters, but reading through this is like running up the side of a mountain over a half mile of scree. I know. I've done both. Neither experience was very pleasant.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment