Friday, December 2, 2016

Fugue XXIX

While I am very happy about and proud of my novel, Heraclix and Pomp, I would be remiss if I didn't point you toward a very different work of mine, Fugue XXIX. Fugue is . . . ahem . . . older now. But I'm still rather fond of it. Those stories are me somewhere between cutting my teeth as a fiction writer and becoming comfortable with my writing voices (no, not the ones in my head - well, sort of). But now that I'm feeling ready to once again take up the short story pen (and have, in fact, done so), I thought it might be good to point you to this collection which you can order from your friendly neighborhood book store, directly through the publisher, Raw Dog Screaming Press, or through the evil (but necessary) empire.

You'll find these stories much more dark than H&P, with little of the playfulness found therein. These are admittedly grim and edgy. I'm told that some of them are "horror" stories, but, to be honest, I think that's an exaggeration. Regardless of genre labels, if you enjoyed the darker moments of H&P and are looking for something a little more post-modern in its forms, then Fugue XXIX might just be for you. But don't say I didn't warn you!

In the meantime, I've got a notebook waiting to be filled with words . . .

6 comments:

  1. I had thought I read a story by this name a while back in Farrago's Wainscot and forgotten to tell you how much I enjoyed it - but turns out that was Sinfonia 22, lol! Fugue, symphony, whatevs, eh? So let me say I really enjoyed Sinfonia 22!

    Wish I'd known about this sooner, I'd have ordered same time as the H&P cd, which should arrive tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a fun time writing that one.

      Delete
    2. Cd arrived with a broken case, but cd itself appears okay. Looking forward to hear what Massey does with the material!

      Delete
  2. "I'm told that some of them are "horror" stories, but, to be honest, I think that's an exaggeration."

    Tagged as? Yep! "Horror". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the problem, if it is "Horror," it's not horror like Steven King or Peter Straub write. More like horror that Kafka or Borges wrote . . . though they didn't.

      Delete
    2. Probably why someone shifted to "wierd", which is a better fit for really offbeat, unsettling writing. It's the unsettling part that promoters the idea of horror.

      Delete