Friday, January 25, 2013

Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah

Jenny Finn: Doom MessiahJenny Finn: Doom Messiah by Mike Mignola
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is definitely not up to par with Mignola's best work. Though Jenny Finn exhibits the usual fascination with Victoriana and lovecraftian strangeness (I can relate), and the illustration is excellent, the story feels rushed and shallow. The characters could have been much deeper - there was ample opportunity to slip in bits of dialogue that would have contributed to the backstory - and the wry social commentary on which the story ends should have had more of a buildup in the beginning. I suspect that Mignola was trying to pull a darkly humorous twist ending, but, if so, the joke fell flat. Though I will say that this graphic novel has put me off seafood for a time. A long time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment