Thursday, July 30, 2015

Moebius on Art and Me on Textual Analysis

As many of you know, I am a big fan of the late Jean Giraud, aka Moebius. I was turned on to this article by another writer and have to share it. I'm trying to process this in terms of writing, story design, etc. There is a lot to think about here, and it's not limited to visual arts. I'm thinking specifically of letters, alphabetic letters, and how each one might, in a visceral way, propel the reader forward or slow them down within a text. Or how "tall" letters or "short" letters affect the reading experience, psychologically-speaking. I am currently studying each letter, capital and lower-case, and some punctuation marks to get an idea of how they affect the eye of the reader, when reading left-to-right in the Western manner. I tend to think about these sorts of things way more than is healthy.

This is true textual analysis . . . Go check out the article and see what you think. There's a lot of mental grist to chew on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment