Saturday, February 25, 2012

Verification, Novella News, and Meryl Streep (?!?)

Friend Kim sent me this article by David B. Coe pretty much confirming my decision to publish novellas as e-books. Nice to get some outside verification!

Just finished the second Italo & Vincenzo novella, "The Doppelgänger's Shadow," which is a sequel to "Cloaks of Vermin and Fish," both of which will be published on Smashwords as soon as I can convince Kaiser to finish up the cover for the latter. I even offered some inspiration. Kids these days, spoiled, I tell you! 

Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure, I myself got some inspiration from a recent interview with Meryl Streep. Now I'm not one for following which actors are in which movies - usually those kind of conversations lose me after about thirty seconds. Honestly, I'm just not much of a movie/TV watcher. But I was impressed by some of the things Ms. Streep had to say about acting, particularly her notion that the actor's job is not to fool the audience, but to fool the other actors. This idea plays as a central conceit in the beginning of "The Doppelgänger's Shadow". Add to this hypothesis a pair of identical twins with little in the way of wits, throw in a shapeshifting mimic and . . . well, I don't want to give anything more away. Suffice it to say that I'm pretty pleased with the results!

Now, I have to get all this stuff typed up and formatted. I write longhand before typing and editing as I go. Call me old-fashioned, but there's something visceral about writing with a pen in my hand that I don't get from typing on a keyboard (though I should like to test my established norms on something like this). But I digress, further distracting me from getting the novella into publishable form. 

Back to the slave-pits with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment