Saturday, February 15, 2020

Slew Going

I haven't posted anything for a few days on the sewing project because, well, it's just taking that long. The night before last, I finished sewing the big back patch on. Not perfect, not even close, just like me! Note that the picture makes it look more off-kilter than it really is.


I might have posted this yesterday, but . . . Valentine's Day. My wife and I went out for ice cream, which we do every year. Yes, in the dead of winter. This goes back to our first date, when we lived in California and ice cream in February wasn't as crazy as it sounds in Wisconsin. Nice thing is, we're almost always first in line at the ice cream shop! Then we watched The ABC Murders on prime. I would strongly recommend that show - just when you think the mystery is solved, you see the mystery behind the mystery. And just when you think that mystery is solved, you see the mystery behind the mystery behind the mystery. I'm not a big TV viewer, but this one was worth it! Oh, and have you seen the Stranger Things 4 trailer?!?!?

No, seriously, I don't watch that much TV. I usually think it's a colossal waste of time.

Speaking of time, let's get back to the esoteric denim (so many horrible puns), those who saw some of my original posts on twitter will see that there was a patch to the bottom right of the big patch that is now missing. Since most of these patches are hand-printed by different people, the sizes of the patch on the left and the patch on the right didn't match, though they were as close to a match as I could get with the patches at hand. But it just looked really awkward. So, I did some investigating and discovered that the shop that made the patch on the left ("Starcatcher," I think is the name of the print) does a few other patches of the same size. I went to Etsy and picked my favorite of the batch (well, second-favorite - Starcatcher was obviously my favorite), which is currently in the mail, on its way to me.

This precipitated the moving of the patch on the lower right. I decided to put it on the right sleeve, beneath the Beelzebub patch, like so:


I will be trimming this one up to the shape of the "doorway", rather than just sewing it on as a rectangular patch. I'm just trying to decide whether to cut first or sew first. Or maybe sew a bit to anchor it, then cut the rest. In any case, I will leave a bit of an outside "border" beyond the outermost white line, but not a lot. It's going to take a fair amount of stitching to reinforce the edge so it doesn't tear easily.I'll just have to take the time to do it right.

Speaking of taking time, you might be wondering how my "time off" from social media is going. Even if you're not, I'm going to tell you anyway: So far, so good. There are moments when I miss it, but they pass relatively quickly. I'm actually very worried that I won't have time to do all the things I wanted to do in this social-media-free month, though I am working hard to get things done. Life piles up, social media or not, but I am finding that I'm able to get a lot more done without social media reaching out and pick-pocketing the minutes, sometimes hours, of my days. At this point, I'm contemplating taking a week off every month, maybe a couple of weeks off. Or doing a month-long "fast" every quarter. I am, in a nutshell, enjoying my freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment