Wednesday, November 22, 2023

The Tome of Ravass Bhavatan



Once again, Mount Abraxas press churns out an amazing set of booklets, this time in the series The Old Ways Remain. These are a similar format to The Doomed House of Abraxas series, one of which I penned myself. These are short, very-limited editions of weird/dark/doom-laden stories by various authors, printed on heavy cardstock and illustrated with some of the best dark artwork out there. This one is illustrated by Vhan.

The Tome of Ravass Bhavatan is an existentialist occult work by Christian Riley. Riley's work is new to me, and a pleasant surprise. I find his prose . . . let's call it "Indigo". It's not quite purple, but it's on the far end of the spectrum from bland. There's a reverent, telestial quality to the writing which takes a second to shift into, but once you're in, you're in. In tone, it's highly redolent of the French decadents

The story itself focuses on the discovery (and repeated rediscovery) of the titular Tome. It's a dark academic's dream, the find of a lifetime, and one that promises previously obfuscated secrets that have been hidden for centuries. The strange and twisted history of the book is presented when Harold, the protagonist, discovers a copy of the exceedingly rare work in a place he never expected to find it. As the story goes on, one wonders if he found the book, or the book found him? We see his immersion in the work and its workings in a clever literary trick that results in . . . well, a trick. The sort of trick that a god of mischief and chaos might play. It's a wonderful ending that subverts previous dominant narratives, leaving the reader a bit of a sting, but a sting worth taking.



 

________________________

If you like my writing and want to help out, ko-fi me at https://ko-fi.com/forrestaguirre. Every little bit is seen and appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review. Admittedly, the prose certainly was a surprise for me. As I wrote the piece, I found myself reaching further and further into an old, archaic voice. But I'm glad I didn't stop, because I eventually found the story, the ending, and that literay trick you hinted at, which were all quite satisfying. The piece is also featured in my collection titled OF WOODLAND TEXTURES AND CHARNEL DELIGHTS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had a similar writing experience myself, dipping wholesale into biblical language for Eyes of the Minotaur. Funny how we sometimes naturally gravitate toward that more "filligreed" voice. Glad you liked the review!

      Delete